A divorce in California is known as a proceeding for dissolution of marriage. Parallel provisions provide for a dissolution of a registered domestic partnership. A divorce is almost always an emotionally, and often financially, stressful event, particularly where minor children are involved.
At the Law Office of Melissa Polk, we strive to assist our clients in dealing with all of the issues that arise in divorce proceedings, including:
- What type of procedure (mediation, negotiation, collaborative law or litigation) meets the client’s needs the best
- Referring clients to appropriate resources including therapists, accountants, financial planners, and real estate agents
- Identifying the client’s issues and priorities.
- Parenting of minor children
- Financial support
- The valuation, division, use and control of assets (e.g. home, business, retirement benefits, or stock options)
We will work with our clients along the way in making necessary decisions and with due consideration to the relative costs and effectiveness of various options. We endeavor to maintain clear communication with our clients and to respond to client’s communications promptly, usually within 24 hours.